Tuesday, January 5, 2010

This is no laughing matter.

Alright, obviously this was going to come up.

Laughing.

What is a laugh? Why does our body shake when we find something amusing? What even is amusement?? Finding something that makes us happy? Not exactly..? It's hard to make sense of anything once you start getting down to the nitty gritty words. They each have a meaning that we just know. We don't have to think about what amusement means, it's just programmed in there. But when you really start to think about it, it's just strange that a bunch of letters put together mean something. I can't even explain it using other words. Happiness? Fun? What do THOSE words even mean??

ANYWAY back to laughing.. it isn't even that nice of a feeling. Your stomach spasming, eyes watering, face hurting. Don't even get me started on the "ha ha ha" part. Ha? What!

Not to mention the different types of laughs we all have. Not only between people but individually. If something is kinda funny, pretty funny, hysterical. A version of laughter will take care of you. And how does "getting your laughs out" WORK exactly? Suppressing it only makes you want to do it more. But once you start laughing, there's always an end. It's not funny anymore once you have laughed it out sufficiently. I mean don't get me wrong it's still funny, but you don't laugh about something until the end of time. There's a threshold of laughability.

If I was ever in a situation where I was laughing at an inappropriate time, I would think of the word 'ashtray'. That is not a funny word. It's disgusting and kind of boring. It almost always did the trick. So if something is funny enough to ensue a laugh, it can be, not only suppressed but extinguished once something unfunny interrupts it.

I'm not really sure why, but I absolutely love laughing. It's one of my favorite things to do. So I'm going to keep doing it even though it makes no sense.

1 comment:

greeneyedldy889 said...

you are inexplicably, extraordinarily, incomprehensibly.....strange