Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, ex-zip-it A

So today I learned what the YKK stands for on all those zippers in the world. 90% to be exact. Now that is a lot of zippers. 2 million a day to be exact. Alright that's enough exactness. It got me thinking again about how little people think of so many things in the world. I've seen that little YKK trillions of times before (3 trillion to be exact) and thought about it for a split second, but never gave it another thought. Learning about it today was purely accidental. This company even makes the machines that make the zippers. Now I don't know about you, but I don't like thinking about machines. What even are they. There's no way a bunch of metal can do stuff. I guarantee no one understands them. Too complicated. They're hollow. It's magic.

Sure sure SOMEONE understands that stuff. Like .007% of the population. James Bond is the only one. Oh and Mr. Yoshida. First you have to make up a zipper in your head. Then build it out of something completely different than a zipper, because zippers don't exist yet. Then figure out how to build a machine that just spits out zippers a million miles a second??? Unbelievable! I'm sorry if you don't care as much about zippers as I do, but just think about it. It's incredible. And that's only one of the things in the world. This happens for everything. How simple life was when there was just dirt. Now we have cups made of dirt but they don't look like dirt anymore, they're clear and in the shape of a cup. How? No one will ever know. It's a mystery to us all.

So next time you zip up your article of clothing containing a zipper, give thanks to the zipper maker man for giving you this luxury. Imagine a world without zippers. Buttons ruling the earth. A drafty world it would be.

No comments: