Thursday, April 22, 2010

I wanna dance the night away

Why? I will now try to investigate why people feel the need to abruptly move their bodies and/or limbs when sound is expressed harmoniously.

What gratification do we get out of dancing? It's one thing to tap your foot or snap your fingers, but for the most part we have all partaken in some form of swinging or jiving or grooving (why I can only come up with extremely outdated examples is beyond me) how about getting jiggy with it? There isn't really a tangible satisfaction gotten from moving in the aforementioned ways, but we still feel the need to do it. It's more voluntary than laughing but still so very hard to resist. Even a little steering wheel tap, head bob, or foot tap could be all you really need to "feel the music." But what does that even mean? I understand that pleasant sounds, aka music, is nice to the ears as opposed to say, a foghorn, but why does it result in the act of body movements? Why wouldn't we rather punch something? Or blink incessantly? Or roll around on the ground?

To my knowledge every culture has some form of dance which overrules the possibility that it's an acquired function. It seems to be innate. Please watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTxfIDYx6Q

(not sure how to put a link on this baby, literally)

Even chimps, our closest biological relative, do not dance. I've heard that some birds do but come on, it's a bird. It's probably just mocking us. However boggled my mind is, I kind of like not knowing why humans feel the need to dance. It just makes us that much weirder.

No comments: